King George’s Field is jointly owned by the Chute and Chute Forest Parish Councils, and operated on their behalf by a management committee.
The Playing Fields are currently used by Cricket and Football teams, and has a well-used play area with swings, slides, etc. The field is also used each year for the Chute Fete, and for other occasional events such as ‘Music in the Park’.
The Playing Field was originally acquired through the King George’s Fields Foundation, the Foundation having been established as a Memorial to the Late King George V by Trust Deed in November, 1936. The objects of the Trust were “to promote and to assist in the establishment throughout the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland of Playing Fields for the use and enjoyment of the people every such Playing Field to be styled ‘King George’s Field’ and to be distinguished by heraldic panels or other appropriate tablet medallion or inscription commemorative of the King.”
The Trust defined a playing field as ‘any open space used for the purpose of outdoor games, sports and pastimes’ and declared that ‘the recreation ground shall “be preserved in perpetuity as a Memorial to His Late Majesty under the provisions of the KGFF and shall henceforth be known as a ‘King George’s Field’.” The brick built pavilion, the second on the site, was opened in 1995 and provides good facilities for two teams and their match officials, as well as facilities for the disabled , a small kitchen, and a 22.5sq. m. communal area. It’s always well used during the annual Village fete, and has also been used for other functions including children’s play groups.
The field and pavilion are both available for hire contact Carolyn Wall on 01264 730 758 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The field is located on Hatchett Hill, Lower Chute, at post code SP11 9DU, and OS reference SU 30854 53028, opposite the Social Club.